Open Menu Close Menu Open Search Close Search

Unsure of whether to report an act of sexual violence at Tufts? These questions and answers can help clarify the process of reporting.

Deciding whether to report a sexual assault can be difficult. Tufts University provides a range of choices to help you think through and navigate this process. The resources listed below are NOT confidential and have specific requirements laid out by the federal government. Do not let this intimidate you. Our goal is to keep the community safe while considering and protecting your individual needs. For this reason, as you read below, you will find options for anonymous reporting and confidential resources.

To whom can I report my assault?

  • You may contact the Office of Equal Opportunity (617-627-3298), which is the office that oversees cases of sexual misconduct and is trained to assist you.
  • Sexual Misconduct (Title IX) Reporting Liaisons also have specific training to receive reports concerning sexual assault, and a list of them can be found here.
  • OEO can help you understand your options, direct you to resources and provide guidance and information on possible next steps.

What can I do if I want to report a complaint anonymously?

  • To anonymously report complaints of discrimination, harassment and/or sexual misconduct, you can fill out a report online through EthicsPoint.
  • Through EthicPoint, you will be able to anonymously chat with OEO about your complaint.

To whom can I confidentially disclose my assault without initiating an inquiry?

  • Tufts Health Services, the Tufts Mental Health Services, and the university Chaplaincy are considered confidential on-campus resources that students can disclose to without initiating an inquiry about the assault
  • All other school administrators have an obligation to report disclosures of sexual misconduct under Title IX to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
  • Once reported, the Office of Equal Opportunity will make an effort to reach out to the student to offer resources and guidance.

Will my parents find out if I start an investigation?

  • In most cases, no. The university treats students as adults and respects their right to privacy.

Can I end an investigation once I’ve already reported?

  • Students may end their involvement in a report at any point.
  • In some cases, the administration may continue to investigate the case without using your personal details if the named perpetrator is a repeat offender, or if the administration feels it is necessary to take disciplinary action to ensure the safety of others on campus.

Is there someone identified to help me through the process?

  • You are entitled, and encouraged, to have a “support person” with you throughout the disciplinary process to help and support you when you meet with administrators such as the Title IX Investigator and/or Dean of Student Affairs.
  • This support person can be from a victim’s advocacy agency, such as the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center, a friend, a family member, a professor, etc.
  • The support person cannot be an attorney or witness for your case.